Sunday 21 February 2010

Eat Butt (and other half-term activities)

Well we have survived half-term and although I 'may' have consumed slightly more Strongbow, cheap white wine and hot cross buns than the Government recommends (is there a government limit on hot cross bun consumption? They do, after all, contain fruit. Mind you, so does cider and white wine. The easy way to 5-a-day.....).

I can probably sum up the holiday in the following conversations:

1.

Location: My kitchen every morning.
Scene: Crazed looking toddler running up and down with a very cross face.
Conversation:

Toddler: I want butt! I WANT BUTT BUTT!

Me: Sigh (long and drawn out).

Toddler: I WANT BUUUUUUUUTTTTT.

Me: No. There is no more butt.

Toddler: BUTT BUTT BUTT. I WANT TO EAT BUTT.

Me: Read my lips. NO MORE BUTT BUTT.

Toddler: BUTTTTT BUTTTTT.

HWASF (Husband With A Sad Face - probably hoping for a cup of tea): What is he on about now?

Me: Butt butt (obviously!).

HWASF: Yes but what is that?

Me: He wants peanut butter. Out of the jar. On a knife. Only a knife. The sharper the better. He doesn't just like butt, he like dangerous butt. But anyway he can't have it - on anything - as it's run out. And it doesn't get more dangerous than that. The butt butt barrel is empty.

(HWASF retreats to the toilet).

Toddler: I WAAAAANNNNNNNT BUUUUUTTTTTTTTTTTT.

Me (to myself): How many minutes til bedtime?

2.

Location: Steam Train to the Seaside.
Scene: Sat at a table on the train in a crowded carriage full of very nice holidaying families and enthusiastic pensioners with sparkles in their eyes.
Conversation:

Original Son: Mummy, what is this station?

Me: Watchet.

Original Son: What?

Me: Watchet. That's not a threat. It's actually the name.

Original Son: Ratchet? Why is it called Ratchet?

Toddler: Rat shit. Rat shit. Rat shit!!!!!

Me: (emit huge guffaw of laughter, because if you didn't laugh you'd cry).

Original Son: Mummy, why are you laughing?

Toddler: RAT SHIT, RAT SHIT, RAT SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT!!!

Me: I'm not.

3.

Location: Living room (which is also our bedroom and replete with mattress, pillows, cushions, duvet, bedspread and circa 18 blankets required to keep us warm at night)
Scene: Small children appear to have mistaken living room/bedroom for a soft play centre and are leaping from sofa to chair, via half-pike triple-salko on the mattress......).
Conversation:

Me: (looking up from the seed catalogue I am trying to absorb myself in. The world of Hybrid Sweetcorn has never looked so tempting......) Can you BE CAREFUL.

Original Son: Awwwwwwww (in that whine only possessed by children aged approximately 4 and upwards), but we are only PLAYING.

Me: Yeeeeeees but be CAREFUL. I don't want anyone's head splitting open.

Original Son: But it's our favourite game!

Me: What game?

Original Son: You know, the game 'I-Run-At-You-As-Fast-As-I-Can-And-If-I-Get-You-I-Will-Bash-You'.

Me: As I was saying.......

(40 seconds later - toddler meets cushion, toddler flies through air roaring with laughter, toddler clears mattress....toddler clears bedding pile....toddler clears carpeted area......toddler's head lands on strip of wood which divides living room/bedroom from dining room.......).

Me: Once again, AS I WAS SAYING....

And tomorrow?

Oh, it's just another Manic Monday.

Good luck one and all.

5 comments:

  1. OMG I remember those days soooooooo well.

    DS1 [aged 3]- stitches in fore head from jumping off a chair and headbutting the skirting board.

    DS2 [aged 3]- Knocking himself out when he thought he was batman and jumped down the stairs.

    DD [aged 4]- fractured ankle jumping out of a tree trying to fly

    They are 23 [DS1], 16 [DS2], 19 [DD] now, the hospital trips have become less frequent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahahahaa!! Oh..your kids sound so adorable! Never mind butt butt...my daughter asked me why daddy was sleeping on mummy the other night! Darn my girl never sleeps at night! Or she's very good at pretending to be asleep. But that's kids for you eh?
    Have a lovely week ahead. School starts tomorrow...i'm sure you're breathing a sigh of relief. I've got a 2 1/2 girl and a 1 year old boy at home. J.O.Y! X

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm, I fancy some Butt too. But smooth or crunchy? That's the question.
    Your boy is a genius.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I dont normally do 'blog awards' but I have today and I have awarded you one.... you dont have to respond if you think they are tacky (and I wont blame you) but you may want to maybe hop over and read mine xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a scar running straight down the middle of my forehead from such a game as described in 3., played 30 years ago. Mind you, it has its uses - I can show it as graphic evidence to my own children of what happens when you really do split your head open and need stitches!

    ReplyDelete